DHCP Authentication howto ?

Tim Peiffer peiffer at umn.edu
Fri Aug 31 02:12:56 UTC 2007

ip guy wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Can anyone point me to a DHCP Authentication howto ?
> Were running ICS DHCP allocating IP's to windows hosts so am hopeing it's
> possible to do what i'm after
>
> regards

Just say no.  Neither an IP address nor a MAC address are a credential,
so no there isn't a way to authenticate with DHCP.

Leave the job of providing IP addresses to DHCP, leave authentication to
things like radius.  Leave network admission control to 802.1x.

Regards,
Tim Peiffer
Network Support Engineer
Networking and Telecommunications Services
University of Minnesota/Northern Lights GigaPOP