"lease imbalance - lts" flood - please help

ashley.hatch at unlv.edu ashley.hatch at unlv.edu
Thu Aug 30 23:19:58 UTC 2007

We have used ISC DHCPd with failover for several years now and have for
the last year been having random primary server crashes.

The primary server will being to spew "lease imbalance" messages up to
10,000 at a time. During these flood sessions the primary server will not
handle and DHCP message and may crash with no core file or any syslog
messages. The secondary continues to work but will on occasion put out
"peer holds all free leases" messages during the "lease imbalance" floods
on the primary.

Log entries look like:
Jun  5 15:39:13 merry dhcpd: lease imbalance - lts = 2
Jun  5 15:39:13 merry dhcpd: lease imbalance - lts = 10
Jun  5 15:39:13 merry dhcpd: lease imbalance - lts = 7
Jun  5 15:39:13 merry dhcpd: lease imbalance - lts = 11
Jun  5 15:39:13 merry dhcpd: lease imbalance - lts = 10
Jun  5 15:39:13 merry dhcpd: lease imbalance - lts = 2
Jun  5 15:39:13 merry dhcpd: lease imbalance - lts = 10
Jun  5 15:39:13 merry dhcpd: lease imbalance - lts = 14
Jun  5 15:39:13 merry dhcpd: lease imbalance - lts = 6
Jun  5 15:39:13 merry dhcpd: lease imbalance - lts = 2

I am currently running version 3.0.6  on Debian 3.1. I have tried running
hardware diagnostics on both boxes. I have synced the leases databases
several times, changed debian distros, and rebooted both servers numerous
times.

I have found several others who had this problem, but I have yet to find
anyone come up with the solution, at least that they reported back to the
newsgroup.
http://marc.info/?l=dhcp-server&m=107100389614261&w=2

Thanks.