Getting IP range for different network

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Aug 30 06:52:11 UTC 2007

Abu Abdulla alhanbali wrote:

>Thanks Simon it works fine with me using the shared networks.
>this is what i have done:

>         pool
>         {
>             allow members of "data";
>             deny members of "voip";
>             range <http://172.19.0.4>172.19.0.4
><http://172.19.0.254>172.19.0.254;
>         }

Just one point, it's not advisable to mix allow and deny like that -
it isn't treated as a "do this, do that, else something" sequential
process. I don't recall the details but it can produce result you
don't expect.

Normal advice is to just use allow, or just use deny. Allow implies
deny everything that doesn't match, deny implies allow everything
that doesn't match.

So in the above, 'allow members of "data";' will implicitly deny
everything except members of "data" - and so implicitly deny members
of "voip".