Question about dhcp-client-identifier

Darren perl-list at network1.net
Wed Aug 22 14:05:46 UTC 2007

It is several hostile environments.  Basically, we do not want users to
have the ability to become invisible due to legal issues in the USA
(CALEA).  We don't expect to fix the users that attempt this or just
happen to have the same mac, but rather break them.  Right now when this
situation arises, the users become essentially invisible (you can see
one, but not the other) as uniqueness is gone.  Some networks do not
break at layer 2, such as some flavors of ATM DSL, cable modem networks
and the like.  Basically, users could hide by changing their mac address
to someone else's.