dhcp + wpad + firefox

Alex Sharaz A.Sharaz at hull.ac.uk
Wed Aug 15 09:04:36 UTC 2007

I've got a load balanced wpad service set up here using 3 servers front
ended by a Foundry ServerIron which does load balancing across the 3
real servers. All works just fine for IE but not for firefox. The beta
safari browser I'm using also seems to work.
I've got wpad.hull.ac.uk set up as a virtual host on each of the 3
servers

In my dhcpd.conf file I've got

option wpad-url code 252 = text;
option wpad-url "http://wpad.hull.ac.uk/wpad.dat";

I've got a number of log files set up on the real servers :-
One for each virtual host
One for a "default" server if someone tries to access the server via its
ip address.

It looks as if IE access wpad.hull.ac.uk/wpad.dat ( unless you've got an
old version of ie6 that asks for wpad.hull.ac.uk/wpad.da )

However as far as i can see, firefox seems to resolve the domain into
its ip address and then ask for http://a.b.c.d/wpad.dat, at least i
think it does that coz there are an awful lot of http requests going
into the default server.

Anyway I can't seem to get firefox to work with autodetect proxy
settings.

Alex