DHCPv6 interface issues

Marcus Goller mgoller at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 12:55:02 UTC 2007

Hi,
I am about to do some initial IPv6 and DHCPv6 tests, so I might miss
something obvious, but I cannot get DHCPd to start, because it does either
not recognize the interface or its configuration.

#./dhcpd --version
isc-dhcpd-4.0.0a2

When I am starting the DHCP this way:

#./dhcpd -cf test-a.conf -lf /tmp/test.leases -6 -d bge1

I am getting

Wrote 0 deleted host decls to leases file.
Wrote 0 new dynamic host decls to leases file.
Wrote 0 leases to leases file.
Error getting interface flags for 'bge1'; No such device or address
Error getting interface information.

#ifconfig bge1 inet6

bge1: flags=2000841<UP,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv6> mtu 1500 index 3
        inet6 fe80::203:baff:fea0:253a/10

When I add an IPv4 interface, I get the following:

No subnet declaration for bge1 (no IPv6 addresses).
** Ignoring requests on bge1.  If this is not what
   you want, please write a subnet declaration
   in your dhcpd.conf file for the network segment
   to which interface bge1 is attached. **

#ifconfig -a
bge1: flags=1000842<BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 3
        inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0

lo0: flags=2002000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv6,VIRTUAL> mtu 8252
index 1
        inet6 ::1/128
bge1: flags=2000841<UP,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv6> mtu 1500 index 3
        inet6 fe80::203:baff:fea0:253a/10

(I also have a bge0, but left it out of the paste)

I have the following subnet in my config (just for getting it up and running
for now):

subnet6 fe80::203:baff:fea0:0/128 {
        range6 fe80::203:baff:fea0:0/112;
}

Now I am wondering why an IPv4 interface is necessary for DHCPd to find the
interface at all, I thought using the "-6" switch causes it to use only
IPv6. On the other hand I do not know why it does not find any subnet
declaration. But being new with IPv6 addresses, I might have screwed up
there somewhere. Using link-local addresses should not make any differences
I guess, because I also tried to add a virtual interface with a global
prefix and adding a subnet declaration for that one, but that did not help
either. I am using Solaris 10 btw.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Marcus

PS: when just using IPv4 interfaces and subnet declarations, the server
starts fine.