If the lease files are lost what would be the solution?

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Wed Apr 25 12:39:19 UTC 2007

If the dhcpd process is still running, then don't kill it. It will
write out it's in memory lease database approximately once per hour.
dhcpd only reads the lease file once, at startup, then keeps all the
information in memory.

If the process has stopped and there are no lease files then behaviour
is, as Frank said, a little painful.

If a new client boots then dhcpd will offer it an address. Before
offering it will try to ping that address, and will not offer it if it
finds a device using it. So assuming your clients respond to ping then
it will find a free IP address for them. Fortunately most clients will
request their old address when starting from cold, so the dhcpd process
can offer them the same one again.

IP addresses that are found to be in use will be marked as abandoned
and will not be offered to clients..

Clients that are renewing will effectively ask if they can keep using
the same address, and the server should agree to that. I am not sure
what the behaviour is if a client sends a renewal reqquest for an
address that is marked as abandoned. I think it should be ok though.

Once things settle down you will need to remove all the abandoned lease
records. This may take a few hours or a few days depending on the lease
time you offer.

Bottom line though, is that this is an inconvenience rather than a fatal
disaster.

regards,
-glenn