DHCP Time Zone and Daylight Saving time

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Sep 6 18:28:35 UTC 2006

Armando González Arellanos wrote:

>Yes i want to send the correct hour to the clients. I configured the NTP
>server now, but I would like to send the correct time zone (sumer time
>or stardard time) to all clients. My idea is to make the change of the
>time in the clients via DHCP, configuring the date of the change in the
>DHCP server.

I can't recall ever having seen a client request
time-offset as an option, except for one VoIP
vendor.

However, I think all the common desktop OSs
handle time changes automatically as long as you
tell them the timezone when you set them up - and
will sync to a time server to get UTC.

David W. Hankins wrote:

>There is a time-offset option, but this option's use is fraught
>with danger as the folks who've told me of its use still have
>the scars.  I'm not sure which clients have actually implemented
>it.

Grandstream use it as an alternative to putting
it in a config file, but they treat 0 as -12hr
and UTC as 12hr offset. I rather suspect that
wasn't how it was intended to work.

Simon