DDNS with host declarations

Jan Engelhardt jengelh at linux01.gwdg.de
Sun Oct 29 09:23:54 UTC 2006

>>when dhcpd.conf contains a host declaration, such as
>>
>>   host foobar {
>>       fixed-address 192.168.234.2;
>>       hardware ethernet 00:aa:bb:cc:dd:ee;
>>   }
>>
>>then no DDNS update takes place at all. How can I achieve that
>>
>>   (a) DDNS updates are made, according to a fixed hostname (set in
>>   dhcpd.conf)
>
>'man dhcpd.conf' - look for update-static-leases
>
>Be aware that in either case, the dhcp server will do a DNS update
>for every lease renewal (because it doesn't have a lease structure to
>track it with), and it will not delete the record when the lease
>expires.

I see. Defining a 'fixed-address' will make it not have a lease struct.
That's not so good.
    Is there a way to configure dhcpd to offer the client only one
(ergo fixed) address by means of

    * offering exactly 192.168.234.2 for a DHCPDISCOVER
    * DHCPNAK'ing all non-192.168.234.2 DHCPREQUESTs

Then it would have a lease struct too, and a lease expire/DHCPRELEASE
could properly trigger a DDNS release.
    I tried

	host xp {
	    hardware ethernet putsomethinghere;