DNS Update failing on AAAA

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Wed Oct 18 22:32:34 UTC 2006

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 10:47:08AM +1300, Eustace, Glen wrote:
> This makes it a little awkward when we have resources that dhcpd does
> not manage and we are having to insert manually.

Totally...so another update policy that doesn't begrudge pre-existing
names (for example for delegated zones that are for dynamic clients
only, so there's no chance for bad behaviour taking over names) would
be good.

But it needs to be spelled out in documentation and non-default.

> > I'm waiting until we can adopt the RFC-defined DHCID (which does
> > not look like our TXT record anymore) to reimplement the update
> > policy, and add hooks to add others.
>
> Any idea of when this might occur ?

I don't want to risk giving you a date that's complete fantasy, but
I would be surprised if this feature didn't materialize with some
expediency either during or shortly after the v6 work.

> Anybody got a utility for quickly generating and inserting DHCID records
> in the meantime ?

I seem to recall someone wrote some perl to do this not long
ago...was on the dhcp-server mailing list I think.

Complete with ISC-interoperable bugs.