thoughts on synchronizing config between failover partners

John Abbott abbottj at stgeorge.com.au
Wed Oct 18 15:17:29 UTC 2006

i use rsync over ssh seems to work well.

Rgs
john

>>> Aaron Bennett <abennett at clarku.edu> 10/19/06 1:05 AM >>>
Hello,

I'm curious what other people do about syncing your config files between

failover peers.

When I've got this all implemented, I'm planning to hand it to a network

engineer and I'd like to give him a more elegant way to keep the config
files in sync then 'make the same edits to the file on each host'
method.  I was thinking of a solution with an nfs share and a cron job
running on the other host, like..

host1: shares /var/dhcpd_config to host2.

edit /etc/dhcpd.master (included by /etc/dhcpd.conf) on host1.  Copy it
to /var/dhcpd_config and restart dhcpd.

cron job on host2 sees change to /var/dhcpd_config/dhcpd.master, copies
it to /etc, restarts dhcpd.

Fairly simple.  Of course I'd do stuff like preserve the old version,
etc, and use iptables to make sure only host2 can access the share.  How

do you handle this?

Best,

Aaron

--
Aaron Bennett
Sr. Unix Systems Administrator

*****   IMPORTANT INFORMATION    *****
This document should be read only by those persons to whom it is
addressed and its content is not intended for use by any other
persons.  If you have received this message in error, please notify
us immediately.  Please also destroy and delete the message from
your computer.  Any unauthorised form of reproduction of this message
is strictly prohibited.

St George Bank Limited AFSL 240997, Advance Asset Management Limited
AFSL 240902,  St George Life Limited AFSL 240900, ASGARD Capital Management Limited
AFSL 240695 and Securitor Financial Group Limited AFSL 240687 is not liable for
the proper and complete transmission of the information contained in
this communication, nor for any delay in its receipt.