reservation question

Keith Neufeld keith.neufeld at wichita.edu
Tue Oct 17 18:44:52 UTC 2006

>                 pool {
>                         range 10.6.65.51 10.6.65.181 ;
>                         range 10.6.65.183 10.6.65.194 ;
>                         option routers  10.6.65.1;
>                         option domain-name-servers      140.232.1.33;
>                  }
>
> If I put reservations like this:
> host ABENNETTD600.ad.clarku.edu {
>         fixed-address 10.6.65.182;
>         hardware ethernet 00:0f:1f:c8:91:73;
> }
>
> I'm finding that sometimes -- particularly for HP printers, they
> come up
> without a default gateway, dns server, etc.

With the fixed-address, the host isn't getting a lease out of the
_pool_, because it's not dynamically allocated from the pool's range
statements.  If the options you list should be offered to every host
that boots in the subnet, move them out of the pool into the
enclosing subnet and everything should be cool.

If you truly need different options for different pools within the
subnet (which can be the case for more complex configurations),
either put default options in the subnet (which the fixed-address
hosts will get) and override them in the pools, or leave the subnet
optionless and resign yourself to having to configure the options in
each fixed-address host declaration.

--
Keith Neufeld
Lead Network Engineer