ddns frustration

Ian Collins ian.collins at kiwiplan.co.nz
Sun Oct 15 04:02:10 UTC 2006

I used to have ddns working, so clients getting a dhcp address would
have dns updated.
Maybe it was a suse10 upgrade, but it stopped working (both at home and
at work).

Out of frustration, I have downloaded the bind and dhcp from isc.
I got bind-9.3.2-P1 and dhcp-3.0.5
I uninstalled my suse10 rpm for bind and dhcp-server and
compiled/installed the new ones (with no particular options).

(I'm testing this all at home before putting it into production) -
My home dhcp happily passes out addresses.
My home dns happily hands out dns queries.
I can use rndc to control bind.
I can use nsupdate to added dynamic addresses on the fly.

But I CANT get dhcp to update dns. I see in the syslog the DHCPREQUEST,
DHCPACK, messages. I never see anything about updating dns (which I'm
sure I used to see). It feels that dhcp isn't even trying to update dns.
If it were (and failing), then I'd see logs.

My dhcp.conf is,

key "rndc-key" {
       algorithm hmac-md5;
       secret "......";
};

ddns-update-style interim;

subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
  range 192.168.1.10 192.168.1.30;
  default-lease-time 36000;
  max-lease-time 2419200;
  option domain-name "family.homelinux.org";
  option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.2,192.168.1.1;
  option routers 192.168.1.1;
  option ntp-servers 192.168.1.1;

  ignore client-updates;
  ddns-rev-domainname "in-addr.arpa";
  default-lease-time 600;
  log-facility syslog;
  authoritative;
  ddns-updates on;
  ddns-domainname "family.homelinux.org";

  zone family.homelinux.org {
    primary 127.0.0.1;
    key rndc-key;
  }

  zone 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa {
    primary 127.0.0.1;
    key rndc-key;
  }
}

Please help. This should just work, so either it's broken or I'm doing
something really really dumb. I'll take the embarrassment to get it working.

Regards,
Ian Collins.