How long should a client wait for a DHCPOFFER?

Frances Albemuth frances.cincinattus at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 17:19:17 UTC 2006

 Hi all,

  This isn't so much an issue or question specific to the ISC DHCP
server, but more a general question.  I'm having trouble finding an
authoritative source or even a general understanding regarding
guidelines for how long a client should wait to hear a DHCPOFFER.  I'm
dealing with a particular vendor of consumer class routing devices
whose DHCP client implementation isn't tolerant of any delay (e.g.
DHCP relay, a la Windows 95, I suppose).  I would like to have
something to direct them to in hopes of persuading them to modify the
wait time in their next firmware release.

 Thanks!