Failover strangeness

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Fri Oct 13 13:16:18 UTC 2006

>Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 08:56:04 -0400
>From: Greg G <ggersh at ctc.net>
>To: dhcp-users at isc.org
>Subject: Re: Failover strangeness
>
>David W. Hankins wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 12:28:30PM -0400, Greg G wrote:
>>
>>>    STOS? I'm not familiar with that.  I see a reference to it in the
>>>

>> "Start Time Of Service" - the time at which the server entered
>> a given state (in this case, partner-down).
>>

>   I think that might be part of the problem.  At no time is either
>server going into partner-down.  They never get out of
>communications-interrupted.  The man page says something about forcing a
>server into partner-down, but never gives a specific enough example that
>I can figure out how actually to do it via omapi.  (I still can't figure
>out how to open the partner state object.)  I don't want to have to
>restart the primary server to do it, as I'm somewhat allergic to editing
>the lease file.

If the two servers never get out of communications-interrupted, then
there is some sort of networking or configuration problem. If the two
servers can communicate then they should move to normal pretty
quickly.

The 'partner state' field is always an old value. It is the value when
the servers first ever talked to each other and is then never updated.
Nothing uses it AFAIK. I asked a similar question a couple of years
back.

To check the communications interrupted part though, you need to do
some simple trouble shooting.

First up can the two hosts ping each other by the name or address you
use in the failover peer configuration section?

If that works then try using telnet to connect to the failover tcp port
on each remote server to verify that there isn't a firewall or access
list somewhere blocking the connection.

Failing that please post the failover peer definitions for each server.

regards,
-glenn
--
Glenn Satchell     mailto:glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au | Some days we are