Failover question

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Oct 11 07:12:10 UTC 2006

Eric Helm wrote:

>I have a similar scenario, where  have a hundreds of pools with only 1
>IP address in the range. This is used to assign a static IP based on
>option 82 information for FTTP ONT units.
>So far it seems to work fine in a failover configuration.
>What other ways could be used in this situation?

What about just configuring the same settings on two servers NOT in failover ?

The effect would be similar to using host statements with fixed
addresses - either server can respond (with the same address) and so
it doesn't matter that they are not in failover.

This wouldn't work with any client who is allowed more than one
address - for that you would still need to use failover.

Simon