DHCPDECLINE messages question

Dennis Dufford Dennis.Dufford at syniverse.com
Mon Oct 2 16:35:31 UTC 2006

> On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 10:03:49AM -0400, Dennis Dufford wrote:
> > We are receiving duplicate dhcp broadcasts because of a bug in the
> > Cisco router code. We run Cisco routers in HSRP, but due to a code
> > bug, the inactive HSRP router is also sending the dhcp broadcast.
> > This is fixed in a later version, and we intend to upgrade.  BTW:
> > this has caused (a very few) problems in the past where, because two
> > broadcasts were sent, and maybe the dhcp servers (or network) were
> > busy, the failover server got a reply back to the client first, and
> > the client ended up on the wrong address.  We have a few very picky
> > people who want the same IP every time.  According to Murphy's law,
> > it is these picky people who will observe this anomaly - and they
> > did.
>
> Routers running VRRP do this also, and I wouldn't classify it as a bug.

As far as HSRP on Cisco routers goes, bug or not, it is fixed on later IOSs,   as a new feature "UDP Forwarding Support of IP Redundancy Virtual Router Group"   - check:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1839/products_feature_guide09186a00801541df.html <http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1839/products_feature_guide09186a00801541df.html>

Dennis