Is there a Reason for Truncated Messages?

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Mon Nov 20 18:22:17 UTC 2006

On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 12:00:16PM -0600, David A. Evans wrote:
> I have seen this as well.  1 out of the 10 I've posted lost the first few
> lines of the email.   If someone comes up with a solution please post it.

Ecartis tries to 'force conformance' to text/plain in the presence
of MIME.

It does this by trying to dequote 'quoted/printable' and then to
produce new 'text/plain' output.

This is the reason I don't GPG-sign my messages on our own mailing
lists.  The signature passes through OK, but the message is altered,
so the signature no longer matches the message.

Anyway, the other reason is that when I type the above, using
quoted-printable output (eg GPG signed by mutt), the following is
what would appear:

On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 12:00:16PM -0600, David A. Evans wrote:
> I have seen this as well.  1 out of the 10 I've posted lost the first few
> lines of the email.   If someone comes up with a solution please post it.
Ecartis tries to 'force conformance' to text/plain.

It does this by...etc.

That is, a double carriage return is swallowed into a single.

I wouldn't doubt it if this is more Ecartis translation bugs.  You
might try finding out if your mailer will let you force it to always
send 'text/plain', or at least look and see if your current output
is 'quoted/printable', as that's a pretty good indication where
the bug lies.