DHCP Relay + PPP (your mail)

Simon Hobson dhcp at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue May 23 19:20:21 UTC 2006

David W. Hankins wrote:

>  > The relay agent needs to listen on the PPP interface to handle
>>  packets from the server - does it do so by default, or does it need
>>  to be told to ?
>
>Ah, no, it doesn't.
>
>And even if told to I think it would refuse.

Any particular reason ? It is a valid relay configuration and only
has to handle unicast packets from the server on the PPP interface.

Pre-empting the answer I expect ... it's never seemed quite right to
me for the relay to have to listen in the same way on both
interfaces. On the interface(s) that are client facing, then yes, I
see the need for special handling to get the broadcast packets. But
surely it should be able to just open a normal socket on the server
facing interface(s) to handle the unicast packets.

Simon