DHCP Relay + PPP

JOBY THAMPAN JOBYTHAMPAN at nestec.net
Mon May 22 09:16:54 UTC 2006

Hi all,

	I did a setup like this, All are Linux machines

Machine 2							 Machine 3

_____________________					____________________
|			|192.168.30.1		192.168.30.30	|

|PPPoE Server
ppp0----------------------------------------------------------	| ppp0 pppoe
client         |
|		            |					|

|_____________Eth1___|
|_____________Eth1___|
		|192.168.10.130
| 192.168.40.1
		|					Machine 4

______________|______
		|						|
Eth0	|
Machine 1	|192.168.10.1					|

_____________ |________					|

|		Eth0     |					|
Client Machine	|
|			|					|

|	DHCP Server     |					|

|____________________|
|____________________|

	DHCP Relay agent is ran on Machine 3 which listens on both ppp0 and
eth1

	DHCP Server is ran on Eth0

	When client machine renews the IP it must get an IP in the range
192.168.40.X

	The working I saw here is when client machine ernwes the IP
	DHCPDISCOVER is travelling to DHCP Server with GIADDR field
192.168.40.1

	DHCP Server is responding with a DHCP OFFER of 192.168.40.20

	But this offer is reaching only upto ppp0 interface of Linux machine
3

Then I did another setup

Machine 2							 Machine 3

_____________________					____________________
|			|192.168.30.1		192.168.30.30	|

|PPPoE Server
ppp0----------------------------------------------------------	| ppp0 pppoe
client         |
|		            |					|

|_____________Eth1___|
|_____________Eth1___|
		|192.168.10.130
| 192.168.40.1
		|					Machine 4

______________|192.168.40.5
		|						|
Eth0	|
Machine 1	|192.168.10.1					|

_____________ |________					|

|		Eth0     |					|	DHCP
Relay 	|
|			|					|
Machine	|
|	DHCP Server     |					|

|____________________|
|______________Eth1__|

|192.168.40.10

							Machine 5

_____________ |_______

Eth0	|

Client Machine	|

|____________________|

	In this setup when DHCP Relay is ran on another Machine, client
machine successfully recieved the IP Address 192.168.40.20 from DHCP Server.

	Can somebody please explain me why DHCP Relay when listened on ppp0
interface didn't got the packet???

	Is it because in the first case DHCP Relay listened on pppo which
doesn't have a hardware addresss.

Rgds
Joby

       "This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are for the sole use
of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the

printing or copying of this email or any action taken upon this e-mail is
strictly prohibited and may be unlawful."