DNS setup

Simon Hobson dhcp at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue May 16 14:22:55 UTC 2006

Sascha Hartmann wrote:

>I want my DHCP-Clients to obtain the complete network configuration
>automatically from the DHCP-Server. If I know the IPadresses of the
>DNS-Servers I may add a line like
>
>option domain-name-servers DNS1, DNS2;
>
>to the dhcpd.conf file and all works fine. But...
>
>I don't know the DNS-Server adresses because they will be obtained
>automatically by the pppd-daemon on each dial in from my internet
>service provider. How I have to setup my DHCP-Server to make these
>obtained DNS-adresses known to the DHCP-Server configuration so they
>can be obtained by the DHCP-Clients?

Do the DNS servers actually change on each dialin ? If so, ditch the
ISP and find one that knows how to run a network !

If they don't, just code the addresses into the dhcp config. You can
write a script that will get the latest values, update the dhcp
config, and reload the dhcp server. You will find a thread remarkably
similar if you look over the mailing list archives for the last few
weeks.

Personally, I would say that you simply don't bother with your ISP
nameservers and run your own. It isn't hard to do and will remove the
problem.

Simon