silently neglected requests fixed by restarting dhcpd

Gordon A. Lang glang at goalex.com
Wed May 10 14:06:22 UTC 2006

My problem is not that the dhcpd fails completely -- it has been working
fine for weeks with the USE_SOCKETS etc.

It was working fine until I added all the additional VLAN's, which is
causing problems only in the morning hours when the demand is high.

I found this morning that the problem doesn't complete go away after a
reboot -- it only goes away after the demand is reduced.

I also found that the server is recieving requests, and issuing leases
(according to the dhcpd.leases file), but the clients are not actually
getting the responses -- or maybe the clients are getting the responses, but
they aren't liking them.  If people do a release and renew enough times, it
eventually works, but the wait time is averaging 3 to 4 minutes for those
who weren't fortunate enough to start work early today.

I am setting up some network sniffers to see what's going on.  Meanwhile,
I'm fishing for information from anybody else that might have experienced
similar problems.

Our network infrastructure has not changed except to change the "ip
helper-address" statements on the routers to point the dhcp traffic to the
unix servers instead of the MS server.  I really hate to say it, and I'll
clobber the first person here who says it to me, but we didn't have this
problem with the MS server.

--
Gordon A. Lang