Problems with Mac OS X Clients

Sten Carlsen sten at s-carlsen.dk
Sat May 6 22:50:30 UTC 2006

Hi
When I got my MAC, I used .local as my local in-house top level domain.
My hosts were called host1.home.local. This was done to be sure that any
reference to my local network would not resolve or be routed anywhere on
the outside.

Then I got my MAC and nothing worked for it, all else worked as usual.
After some searching and reading I figured out that Apple uses .local to
signify locally defined names so you can find all printers or whatever,
just by doing a mDNS lookup.

Once I realised this I changed all internal names to xxx.home and
everything worked also the MAC.

Later I changed everything to my now real domain name (.dk) and no
problems have turned up since then.

So; if you don't use .local internally for any purpose (except
rendevous) don't worry about this.