DHCP Failover + Dynamic Bootp?

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Tue May 2 17:48:44 UTC 2006

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 10:27:05AM -0700, Mike Conley wrote:
> In the dhcpd.conf description the phrase "Dynamic BOOTP leases are not
> compatible with failover, and, as such, you need to disallow BOOTP in pools
> that you are using failover for" appears.  Unfortunately, I'd really like to
> have both Dynamic BOOTP and DHCP failover.  What is the root cause for this
> not being possible and are there any ways to work around this?

Dynamic BOOTP leases have to be treated differently from normal leases.
Failover supports this, but our failover implementation in 3.0.x does
not.

Code presently comitted to HEAD (and subsequently will be released in
3.1.0 hopefully sometime this year) supports both BOOTP and RESERVED
leases via failover.

--
David W. Hankins		"If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer			you'll just have to do it again."