Wierd DHCPINFORM log messages

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Fri Mar 17 16:30:13 UTC 2006

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 11:41:59AM -0600, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
> I'm running the ISC dhcp server from Debian stable (sarge), and am
> getting the following odd log messages from the DHCP server:
>
> Mar 16 09:38:51 furious dhcpd: DHCPINFORM from 4.0.0.0 via eth4: unknown
> subnet 0.0.0.0

Weird, the same Macromedia INFORM was on the mailing list a little while
back, but it was using 0.0.0.0.  Your tcpdump appears to agree.

I wonder if they're failing to zero the buffer fully sometimes.

At this point, the DHCP packet being described here is so woefully
reference incompliant that I'm not even going to make an attempt at
figuring out how they want us to respond.

> Anyone got an idea what spews these packets, and/or why the dhcp server
> is barfing on them?

When I last looked into this, it was some kind of edge caching service.

--
David W. Hankins		"If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer			you'll just have to do it again."