authorized MAC addresses

Tim Peiffer peiffer at umn.edu
Tue Jun 6 18:19:51 UTC 2006

I wrote the initial mac registration in the ISC 0.99b sometime ago.  Ted
only agreed to my mods because they were portable;  no good deed goes
un-punished :-).  Since I wrote wrote in mac registration, alternate
forms of MAC registration such as netreg have come up.

Also since then, I have started to rethink the problem and came to the
conclusion that the job of the DHCP server is to provide addressing
services, and not to be a form of network admission control.  It is
difficult/pointless to do admission control once the party is already on
the network, no?  To that end, investing more effort into standardized
protocols like 802.1X may provide better admission control and
revocation of privileges.

Tim Peiffer
Networking and Telecommunications Services
University of Minnesota