dhcpd lease problems?

Kim Halavakoski kimmen at aland.net
Tue Jun 6 10:34:22 UTC 2006

Hello,
I am running a DHCP server for a /24 network and have some problems
with IP-addres conflicts and started wondering if I have made a
mistake in my dhcp.conf configuration.
We are running both static and dynamic addresses and the static hosts
have been declared with a host declaration and dynamic addresses are
assigned from a pool like the following configuration:

subnet 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
	option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
	option domain-name-servers 10.0.0.10,10.0.0.11;
	option domain-name "example.com";
	option routers 10.0.0.1;

	pool {
		failover peer "dhcp-peer";
		deny dynamic bootp clients;
		default lease time 3600;
		max-lease-time 85400;
		range 10.0.0.20 10.0.0.254;
	}

host hostname1 {
	hardware ethernet 00:0f:1f:87:45:79;
	fixed-address 10.0.0.45;
}

host hostname2 {
	hardware ethernet 00:0f:1f:87:45:79;
	fixed-address 10.0.0.88;
}

and so forth...

If a need arises for static address for a host I have just added a
host declaration for that host and MAC to the dhcp.conf.
Now it seems like dhcpd is giving out leases from the range
10.0.0.20-10.0.0.254 and sometimes assigns even the IP-addresses that
I have put in as host declarations for the static hosts...

How is this supposed to work? Should dhcpd be able to see that it
doesn't assing out a dynamic address from the range configured IF
there is a host declaration for that IP? Or should I try to change
the pool range to 10.0.0.100 10.0.0.254 and then assign the host
declarations between 10.0.0.20 - 10.0.0.99?

I have read the manuals and HOWTOs but I cannot find anywhere where
it says how this is handled, should dynamic and static addressa
allocation IPs be in separate pools or not? Examples usually have
them separated but  thats the only indication I have found..

Appreciate any help,
Kim Halavakoski