alias interfaces

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Jul 28 09:41:55 UTC 2006

garry saddington wrote:

>I am trying to set up load balancing using LVS-DR and need to start DHCP
>on an alias interface - eth0:240. Is this possible or am I wasting my
>time.
>I am getting this:
>No subnet declaration for eth0:240 (0.0.0.0).

DHCPD cannot use anything but a real interface - because it needs to
receive and send broadcast packets which (almost) by definition
cannot belong to an alias interface.

However, if you are wanting to give the client the alias address as
the dhcp server address, check out server-identifier (IIRC) which
will do this.

Simon