Regarding option routers

Vithal Shirodkar vithals at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 13 14:52:28 UTC 2006

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the detailed response and the note of caution.  I am running some
experiments with provisioning of multiple networks on the same set of
hardware (routers, server, etc) and so client reconfiguration is not an
issue, since when router gets a new config, the servers reboot too.

Can you explain why you said the ISC server won't work if there are no
shared subnets ?  Can't I have the dhcp server say on subnet 1.2.3.0/24
connected to a router which also is connected to 2 other subnets 1.3.3.0/24
and 1.4.3.0/24 and a helper configured in each of those subnets pointing to
the dhcp server on 1.2.3.0/24.  Or have I just described a shared subnet ?

Thanks
Vithal