DDNS Updates

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Thu Jul 13 01:18:26 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 09:42:20AM +1200, Eustace, Glen wrote:
> I have noted that event though I have set the 'ddns-hostname' in all the
> dhcpd.conf host declarations, I am still getting A records for names
> like 'ILOH345LGP50002.massey.ac.nz' and 'it019037\032.massey.ac.nz'
> which I can only presume are coming from the hostname in the request. It
> was my understanding that the ddns-hostname was supposed to take
> precedence over anything supplied by the client.

Yes, that should be the case.  The ddns-hostname option is a pick() by
default, but if configured either in global or lower scopes those configs
should take precedence.  One experiment might be to set ddns-hostname in
the global scope to something obviously configured by yourself (so there
is no backup pick()).

Is it possible that these clients aren't matching any host entry
for some reason?