dhcpd on cygwin/XP2

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Jul 7 14:26:59 UTC 2006

fhcom at club-internet.fr wrote:

>Following your instructions to install dhcp-3.01rc11-cygwin.path, I hav= e
>now a dhcpd server in my computer XP/SP2.
>

>When I execute this command line under a cygwin window:
>
>./dhcpd -d eth1
>
>I get the following log:
>

>=24 ./dhcpd -d eth1
>Internet Software = Consortium DHCP Server V3.0.1rc11
>Copyright 1995-2003 Internet Software= Consortium.
>All rights reserved.
>For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP
>Wrote 0 leases to leases file.
>eth1: not found

<snip>

>The server does not start.
>
>How can i configure eth1?  What does it represent in a windows XP = machine?

I am not aware that the server will work on Windows. I gather from
discussions some time ago on the list that it actually requires some
significant changes to the server code because of the way it needs to
handle low-level APIs to the network interfaces - specifically you
can NOT just open a socket and lsiten on it.

Someone did say they were working on it, but I don't recall hearing any more.

Now, the nature and wording of your question suggests that, without
wishing to be rude or unhelpful, you lack the basic skills needed for
this situation. On most Unix type boxes, eth1 would be the second
ethernet interface - it is unlikely to be called that on Windows, and
I've no idea what it would be called in Cygwin. If you only have one
interface, then you almost certainly don't need to specify and
interface on the command line, so "-d <interface>" is redundant and
can be omitted. ifconfig (if present as a command) would tell you
what interfaces are configured on the system.

Simon