single or multiple range statement

George C. Kaplan gckaplan at ack.berkeley.edu
Tue Jul 4 01:19:31 UTC 2006

Simon Hobson wrote:

> However, you would be better advised to use :
>
>       range 10.10.16.1  10.10.16.254
>       range 10.10.17.1  10.10.17.254
> and so on
>
> The reason is that there are some faulty IP stacks out in the real
> world which are written on the assumption that things are using class
> C networks - hence .0 would be the network, and .255 the broadcast
> address. SInce there are a small number of devices that can't cope
> with having a .0 or .255, it will save hassles to avoid them in case
> you ever get one of these devices on your network.

Is this really a problem nowadays?  We have a few address pools that
span a /24 boundary, and we haven't bothered to skip over the .0 and
.255 addresses.  I don't recall ever getting trouble report for any of
these addresses.  Has anyone else on this list run across clients
(recently) that couldn't handle a .0 or .255 address?

George C. Kaplan                            gckaplan at ack.berkeley.edu
Communication & Network Services            510-643-0496
University of California at Berkeley