agent.circuit-id as dhcp-client-identifier

Barr Hibbs rbhibbs at pacbell.net
Mon Dec 18 19:20:13 UTC 2006

years ago, I worked for one of the RBOCs, and at that time,
the entirety of the company's systems for provisioning,
maintenance, and operation were organized around the circuit
number, which was an alphanumeric similar to
"63FDDA100673-001."

When implementing DHCP, we were asked to provide a mechanism
for identifying and reporting IP address assignments by
circuit number.

After a long, careful examination of the source code for
dhcpd and a careful review of RFC2131, we decided to
completely leave alone the hardware address and client
identifier tracking mechanisms in dhcpd.  We did add code to
track the circuit number in a parallel method to client
identifier -- this worked in our case because every client
was configured to use the circuit number as the host name,
and Microsoft clients of that vintage sent the host name to
the server in both DHCPDISCOVER and DHCPREQUEST messages.

The good news is that it was a modification to dhcpd that
did not affect the main line functionality and added
something we felt necessary in our situation.  Indeed, we
got the tracking reports from the leases file that we needed
to support provisioning, maintenance, and operations.

The bad news is that we were never able to fully and
completely debug all of the paths through lease processing
and would occasionally suffer both from attempted duplicate
deallocation of memory blocks holding the circuit number
records, and orphaned memory blocks.

Having said that, I still believe that if your situation is
such that you must track and manage resources by something
other than hardware address or client identifier, it's best
to add functionality rather than modify the core
functionality of dhcpd.

Good Luck!

--Barr