Failover and pools with single machines

Tina Siegenthaler tina at zool.unizh.ch
Fri Dec 15 16:22:51 UTC 2006

Am 15.12.2006 um 16:29 schrieb Simon Hobson:

> The leases files will NOT be the same.
>
> What will happen is that both servers will respond to a broadcast
> discover, and enter a lease into their database with a life of 2
> minutes. The client will then request the lease from ONE of the
> servers and that server will enter a new lease entry with the real
> expiry time. The server that didn't get to hand out the full lease
> will expire it's offer after two minutes and mark the address as free.
>
> So when you analyse the leases to see what's active etc, you need to
> aggregate the leases files from both servers and look only at the
> latest leases. IFF you analysis program looks at the timestamp for
> the lease entries and correctly ignores ones that are earlier than
> it's already found, then you may be able to get away with
> concatenating the leases files from both servers and analysing the
> result.

I see. But if I'm not interested whether a lease is free or active, I
will at least be able to see which host got a specific IP. If I want
to know whether the host is still online, I'll have to check both
lease files. And of course I'll have to keep both dhcpd.logs.
Errm, though... don't the peers synchronize their lease files? I
thought I read something like that in the manpage, or did I
misunderstand that?

Tina