advice on moving dhcp server

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at colby.edu
Mon Dec 11 22:34:56 UTC 2006

Gang,

I need to move my DHCP service from one machine to another;
however I use the primary/failover setup with DHCP 3.0.5.
The half that I need to move is the primary, the secondary
stays put.  The new primary machine will have a different IP
number (and subnet) than the old machine.  I would like advice
on how to do this please.

The old system runs DHCP 3.0.5 on Solaris 9; the new system will
be Solaris 10.  The secondary box runs DHCP 3.0.5 on Solaris 10.
I keep my config files in sync via a script that scp's the common
component of the configuration from the master to the secondary
after a (working) update is done.  A touchfile is also scp'ed to
the secondary.  A cron job runs on the secondary once a minute
to look for the touchfile, and then restart dhcp on the secondary
if found.

Since I plan on doing this over Christmas break, I can shut down
DHCP on both systems until all files are moved, and routers are
updated -- the brute force method.  Any advice on other methods?

Jeff Earickson
Colby College