dhcpd stops logging

Tina Siegenthaler tina at zool.unizh.ch
Wed Dec 6 11:03:14 UTC 2006

Hi list

Sometimes, my dhcp server just stops logging, without any reason
(well, at least I found no reason). I'm running dhcpd 3.0.4 on Mac OS
X (10.4.8). I added this statement to my dhcpd.conf file:

log-facility local1;

and I added the following line to syslog.conf:

local1.*              /var/log/dhcp.log

Usually, this works fine, but then, all of a sudden, I find that
there are no new log entries made in dhcp.log. I haven't found out
whether it is syslogd that stops accepting the log messages, or
whether dhcpd stops sending them. If I restart both syslogd and
dhcpd, the messages get logged again.
This is rather annoying, since we are supposed to archive all leases
for the last 6 months, and now I sometimes get gaps of some hours in
the log.

Any ideas? I was thinking about restarting syslogd and dhcpd every
hour with cron or so, but this seems rather brute force...

Thanks, Tina