Help me make DHCP's documentation better.

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Tue Aug 29 15:19:11 UTC 2006

On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 08:08:17AM -0700, David W. Hankins wrote:
> Also: I think it's a very bad idea to discard LBA at any corner case
> the server finds while in 'normal' state.  Even if both servers are
> about to answer the question with the same results, it is still
> best practice to divide the load.

To clarify: if only one server answers, the client will select that
server for future renewals.  If two servers answer, the client will
still select one server, but the method of selection is poorly
defined...most clients select the first answer they receive.  Since
one server or the other will generally 'always' win millisecond
battles such as this, load is not divided, but rather heaped on one
of the two systems.

--
ISC Training!  October 16-20, 2006, in the San Francisco Bay Area,
covering topics from DNS to DDNS & DHCP.  Email training at isc.org.