VLANS and DHCP

Joseph Huang 黃立行 lshuang at mcu.edu.tw
Fri Aug 18 05:30:54 UTC 2006

If your routers are cisco like
just add "ip helper-address dhcp.server.ip.address" configuration in
each vlan interface
like:
Switch>enable
Switch#configure terminal
Switch(config)#interface vlan 1968
Switch(config-if)#ip helper-address 192.168.100.200
Switch(config-if)#end

then the router will relay dhcp packets between dhcp server and dhcp client

if you want to use a dhcp server with many virtual interface to do this
you need
1. a nic with 802.1q vlan support on your dhcp server
2. define virtual interfaces on your dhcp server machine
3. define a trunk port which directly connect to dhcp server's nic and
brings all vlan tag to the nic of dhcp server
cisco like config is :
Switch>enable
Switch#configure terminal
Switch(config)#vtp mode transparent
Switch(config)#interface gigabitEthernet 0/12
Switch(config-if)#switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
Switch(config-if)#switchport mode trunk
Switch(config-if)#end

4. tell dhcp server to listen dhcp packets on virtual interfaces

however, maybe nic won't support more than 64 vlans
so, i think you need both router's dhcp relay and dhcp server's virtual
interface configuration
(mix L2 and L3 traffic on the router or core switch)

finally, you can download cisco's "Multilayer Switch Software
Configuration Guide" of their products
on cisco's web site, their manual is really easy to understand.

good luck!

Joseph Huang