Help me make DHCP's documentation better.

Sten Carlsen sten at s-carlsen.dk
Thu Aug 17 23:04:23 UTC 2006

Writing clear and unambigously is not easy.

I thought I understood the "max‐lease‐ownership percentage" until I saw
the default value. I read this as the maximum percentage of leases that
one server can own out of a pair of servers. That indicates to me at
least 50%, else there must be leases not owned by anyone. Now default is
10%.

So each of two servers can own up to 10% of the free leases totalling
20% ; who owns the remaining 80%?

I guess examples could help.

Also the "max‐lease‐ownership percentage" is a bit elusive for me at
first reading. Pls. consider an example for the default value. Maybe
formulas will help. Does the default value mean that when server 1 owns
64% of all free leases all is ok and when it owns 66% it will transfer
some to server 2? How many will it transfer? until each has 50%?
(conflicts with "ownership= 10%" each can only own 10%)

How do they work together? if each can only own 10% (is that 10% more
than the other?) how can the other limit be higher? which one will
trigger the transfer? If max-ownership does not trigger any transfer why
is it there?

I tried to read these in a way like I would read any other man page;
very few times, and then the meaning should be clear.

I am sorry if this is not as constructive as I would like it to be, but
I do not understand the mechanism well enough to formulate another proposal.

--
Best regards

Sten Carlsen

No improvements come from shouting: