dhcpd.leases question

Chris Zimmermann cbzimmermann at mac.com
Thu Aug 17 22:17:17 UTC 2006

I'm noticing DHCP leases that have the binding state "free" in my
dhcpd.leases file that are a few days shy of being a month old.

I couldn't find the information I'm looking for in the man pages
(maybe I missed it).  Here's my questions:

1) When, if ever, will these leases be pruned from the dhcpd.leases
file?

2) Do these leases count against the pool?  Say my pool runs from
192.168.1.2 through 192.168.1.200.  This allows me to hand out 199
leases.  Suppose I have 198 clients with active leases, and this free
lease in my file.  Does dhcpd reserve this lease and deny/ignore the
199th DHCP request?  Or will this lease be pruned at that point,
since it is free?

3) Are there any adverse side effects from this situation?

Thanks,
Chris

cbzimmermann at mac.com