Static Allocation Not Working

Aaron Thompson athompson at mac.com
Wed Aug 16 17:45:07 UTC 2006

Thanks Doug,
I removed the host statement from the subnet declaration and removed
the old MAC bindings from dhcpd.leases~ file and that worked.

If I used an address from the pool for a host statement could I have
duplicate addresses? Or does the server know it's in use by the host
statement?

This is what worked for me.

   }
}
subnet 10.4.130.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
   option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
   option broadcast-address 10.4.130.255;
   option routers 10.4.130.1;
         pool {
         failover peer "dhcp-failover";
         deny dynamic bootp clients;
         range 10.4.130.30 10.4.130.254;
   }
}
host test1.domain.net {
   fixed-address 10.4.130.29;
   hardware ethernet 00:0a:95:d3:49:22;
}
host test2.domain.net {
   fixed-address 10.4.130.28;
   hardware ethernet 00:12:3f:13:4f:eb;
}

Aaron

On Aug 15, 2006, at 9:07 PM, Douglas Armstrong wrote:

> A pair of things that I seem to remember:
> 1) Host statements are global and should not be placed inside a subnet
> declaration.
>
> 2) As fixed addresses are not kept track of in the lease they must be
> declared in both partners in a fallover configuration. One or the
> other
> will grant the lease and then forget about it. If the first to respond
> dose not have the host declaration it will hand it a lease out of the
> pool for the subnet.
>

> Doug Armstrong
> http://www.ovationdata.com
>
> Aaron Thompson wrote:
>> Hey All,
>> Sort of an easy issue I’m sure but I’m getting annoyed and could use
>> the help. I searched the archives and this must have been covered but
>> I couldn’t find it.
>>
>> Working on Static Allocations for a couple of machines on several
>> subnets. I’m running DHCP Server V3.0.1 in a failover setup.
>>
>> In the dhcpd.master file on each server here’s the config the isn’t
>> working: (I've tried a couple of slightly different version of this
>> as well..no go)
>>
>>   }
>> }
>> subnet 10.4.130.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
>>    option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
>>    option broadcast-address 10.4.130.255;
>>    option routers 10.4.130.1;
>>          pool {
>>          failover peer "dhcp-failover";
>>          deny dynamic bootp clients;
>>          range 10.4.130.30 10.4.130.254;
>>    }
>> host test1.domain.net {
>>    fixed-address 10.4.130.29;
>>    hardware ethernet 00:0a:82:d3:49:22;
>> }
>> host test2.domain.net {
>>    fixed-address 10.4.130.28;
>>    hardware ethernet 00:34:3f:13:4f:eb;
>>    }
>> }
>>
>> I’ve stopped the service and deleted all the leases for each MAC
>> address and restarted the service but the machines keep on grabbing
>> an address from the pool. I’m not getting any info from the log’s
>> that I can find, Do I need to add an option statement in the
>> dhcpd.lease file?
>>
>> What easy thing I’m I missing?
>>

>> Aaron

-- Type: application/pkcs7-signature