will dynamic dhcpd.conf be supported in future releases

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Fri Aug 11 18:19:18 UTC 2006

On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 01:37:46PM -0400, Mitch Collinsworth wrote:
> Major?  Think of it like a journaled filesystem.  Just before the
> fork, start a journal file.  When the parent process exits, the
> child reads and processes the journal.  I must be missing something
> here...

The obvious way to do this isn't to use a separate journal file, but
to have the child resume processing the leases database file after
the fork (to read anything beyond the last read), so the server is
only asked to continue writing there (and to disable db rewrites).

To do this you'd need to make some fairly non-obvious and actually
fairly frightening changes to the lexer and parser, and you'd need
a way to know for sure the parent had exited (we can't use the
usual bound socket trick).

All that said, I intended the word 'major' to mean 'this is the
largest problem one would face if you chose to do this.'