will dynamic dhcpd.conf be supported in future releases

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Fri Aug 11 17:03:11 UTC 2006

On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 10:48:55AM +0200, Shane Kerr wrote:
> If this is your concern, you might be better of writing a wrapper script and
> running dhcpd in non-daemon mode. Something like this:

For a small number of people who have very large problems, it is
intriguing to consider that we might make dhcpd process a HUP to:

	1) Fork and execv dhcpd - continue like nothing's changed.
	2) Receive a SIGCHLD when the new dhcpd fork()s (which it
	   will do after reading dhcpd.conf and dhcpd.leases).
	3) Exit.

There is one major complication in such a mechanism.  The child
daemon MUST have a way to obtain any changes in state between the
fork and the exit.