Spaces in hostnames?

sf techguy sf.techguy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 21:15:21 UTC 2006

I'm running an older build of dhcpd (2.0p15), embedded in our snapgear firewall.

If a dhcp client computer has a space in their computer hostname, then
the hostname in dhcpd comes up blank. There are so many eople coming
and going, there's no way for me to maunually enforce a 'no spaces in
your computer name' policy.

Is there a way to force this using the server? I.E., tell the server
something like:

'if the computer hostname contains a space, replace it with a `_` character?'

or if there's a space in the hostname, don't assign an ip address?

Either would be great.

Thanks much....