dhcp ( & cisco related ) question

Ken Roberts ken at hoverclub.net
Tue Aug 8 19:18:38 UTC 2006

I'm going to answer what I think you're asking, rather than what you
asked.
What I think you're asking is, "How do I set up several VLANs to work
with a Cisco product?"

First, I did not use 802.1q on the Linux box.  I put that on a subnet
with an IP address, just like anything else.  There's no real reason to
put trunking onto the DHCP server.

The pertinent configuration for the Cisco gear (assuming a 3550 layer 3
switch) is:
ip dhcp relay information option
no ip dhcp relay information check

and then, for each VLAN:
ip helper-address 192.168.3.12
ip helper-address 192.168.3.13

For your dhcp configuration, create your subnets the way you would
think.  The router will send along enough information so that dhcpd can
figure out which subnet you're on.

Sorry if this doesn't quite go where you wanted to go.  Not that I'm an
expert on this, but it seems to me that extending a trunk to a host
without good cause is a security hole, and the gear is all designed to
make your life easier anyway so it's unnecessary in this case.