Wildcard hardware address syntax

HAWKER, Dan dan.hawker at astrium.eads.net
Thu Aug 3 15:26:08 UTC 2006

Hi Glenn,

Yes, the 192.168.203 and 172.30.1 addresses are on the same wire. You mean
it's in a shared-network not a shared-subnet, yes?? If so, yes DHCPD knows
about this. In a quick and dirty pictorial explanation, my dhcpd.conf file
is as below...

<global stuff>
<class>
<shared-network>
<subnet 192.168.203>
</subnet 192.168.203>
<subnet 172.30.1>
</subnet 172.30.1>
<pools>
</shared-network>
<hosts>

Ie globals and classes are at the top on their own. Then I have a shared
network enclosing the subnets and pools. Then the hosts are at the bottom on
their own.

The deny vmware makes sense and have done so. I have only just inherited the
server (new job) and am just now getting my hands dirty to re-organise the
DHCP. There are an awful amount of hard-coded entries (embedded systems and
test equipment mostly) hence why I have slightly snipped the conf file (plus
its on a closed system, so would have to re-type it all).

Have tried a few more things and am pretty sure my class is now working and
it is now quite happily dishing out IP addresses to the VMs whenever they
boot.

Cool :)

Now need to sort out the DDNS so that they get a hostname too, the embedded
builds are pausing until timeouts kick in whilst they try to determine their
own hostname...Grrr...

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Dan