DHCP for FIX address

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Aug 2 07:15:40 UTC 2006

Mairj.Syed at ae.standardchartered.com wrote:

>  Problem: I have configured my (Linux) dhcp server to supply IP to one
our linux
>  box, but unfortunately the box is not receiving when it boots.
>
>  Server side config: configured dhcpd.conf and tftp and both this
services are running
>  perfectly.
>
>  1. dhcpd.conf :
>
>  #dhcpd.conf
>  #
>  # Sample configuration file for ISC dhcpd
>  ddns-update-style none;
>  ignore client-updates;
>  #
>
>  # option definitions common to all supported networks...
>  option domain-name "ae.testing.com";
>  option domain-name-servers testserver.testing.com;
>
>  authoritative;
>  option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
>  default-lease-time 600;
>  max-lease-time 7200;
>  # Group the PXE bootable hosts together
>          group {
>                  # PXE-specific configuration directives...
>                  next-server 192.168.1.1;
>                  filename "/tftpboot/pxelinux.0";
>

>  subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
>   DHCPD_INTERFACE="eth0";
>    range 192.168.1.2 192.168.1.100;
>  #  option broadcast-address 192.168.1.255;
>  #   option routers 192.168.1.1
>  }
>     }
>
>  # Fixed IP addresses can also be specified for hosts.   These addresses
>  # should not also be listed as being available for dynamic assignment.
>  # Hosts for which fixed IP addresses have been specified can boot using
>  # BOOTP or DHCP.   Hosts for which no fixed address is specified can
only
>  # be booted with DHCP, unless there is an address range on the subnet
>  # to which a BOOTP client is connected which has the dynamic-bootp flag
>  # set.
>  host testclient {
>    hardware ethernet 00:10:18:03:28:4E;
>    fixed-address 192.168.1.2;

Probably just a typo, but it looks like you have the subnet
declaration inside the group statement - try separating them.

I assume that "DHCPD_INTERFACE="eth0";" is supposed to have a hash in
front to make it a comment.

Your option statements for broadcast address and routers are both
commented out - these are needed for just about any client so it may
be that the client is refusing the lease because it lacks required
information.

Also, whilst it won't be the cause of this problem, you have copied
the bit from the manual about NOT having a fixed address which is
part of a dynamic range - and done just that. 192.168.1.2 is used
both as a fixed address, and as part of the dynamic range.

If none of these fix the problem, fire up a packet sniffer (such as
ethereal) and see what dhcp packets are going around - that way you
can work out if the client is making requests, and if the server is
replying.

Simon