Switching from Single DHCP Server to Failover

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Wed Apr 19 18:39:14 UTC 2006

On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 03:24:03PM -0500, Martin McCormick wrote:
> failover peer "abc" {
>
> 	Am I correct in understanding that this string can be anything
> inside the double quotes so long as both peers contain the same
> string?

In 3.0.x I think it isn't ever even checked...which failover peer
relationship to use for a given connection is decided instead by the
peer ip address (!).

In 3.1.x, however, we're fixing that.  The peer name is more general
and correct (and doesn't require hard-coded ip addresses).  It's also
the reference behaviour.

So to save yourself migration pain later, follow Glenn's advice and
make it something useful and descriptive.

--
David W. Hankins		"If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer			you'll just have to do it again."