Running DHCP over PPP interface

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Mon Apr 17 15:34:15 UTC 2006

On Sun, Apr 16, 2006 at 03:58:45PM -0400, Dutta, Ashutosh wrote:
> Can DHCP INFORM be sent over broadcast, otherwise the mobile has to know the IP address of the DHCP relay or the server if it has to use it in unicast mode.

I suppose, but I'm not sure how that would work on a PPP interface.

In the absence of a PPPCP that identifies the DHCP server address that's
suitable for sending unicast INFORMs, I suggest instead that the PPP
interface's 'remote address' as determined by LCP is more suitable
than 'broadcast'?

The remote end of the PPP connection would only have to act as a DHCP
relay (or otherwise send back an ICMP connection refused).

> Any idea when DHCP INFORM support would be available, it seems like a very useful tool.

A contributor has supplied patches, which I have not yet had time to
look at.

It should appear in 3.1.0, which is presently under development.

I don't think you're going to get discover/offer/request/ack to work
over PPP with ISC dhclient without a /lot/ of hacking.  Glenn had the
right ideas; switch to BSD sockets, modify dhclient-script heavily.

I also notice that I said:
> Not presently available in the public release of the server.

But I meant 'of the software package', as this is a missing client
feature.

--
David W. Hankins		"If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer			you'll just have to do it again."