undefining filename='pxe'

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Thu Apr 13 18:42:35 UTC 2006

I am trying to test

http://rom-o-matic.net/5.4.2pre2

which allows me to set

DEFAULT_BOOTFILE: Define a default bootfile for the case where your DHCP server
does not provide the information. Example: tftp:///tftpboot/kernel
If you do not specify this option, then DHCP offers that do not specify
bootfiles will be ignored.

tftp://1.2.3.4/pxelinux.0 is about what I will be using. (just to make the
syntax clear, because I missed the point of /// the first time, and DNS suport
is still experimental.)

I only want "DHCP server does not provide" for the box I am testing on, not the
whole lan.

This didn't seem to work:
# /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf (stripped out everything but filename related lines)

filename="pxelinux.0" ;

         host v400 {
                 hardware ethernet  00:90:27:A5:B6:16 ;
                 nextserver="" ;
                 filename="" ;
                 option host-name "v400" ; }

I am guessing "" causes it to use the upper value.  It is possible that it did
do what I need, but other parts of my tests are failing.  I am also trying some
things with Virtual PC and Ethereal which isn't going well either.

Carl K